.Live up to the potential God see's in me.Reach higher everyday.Wake up smiling.Run a marathon.Own a bookstore.Go back to school. Be a wife.Be a mother.Keep chasing dreams.Find love. Be loved in return.Hold onto friendships.Be Bold and daring.Chase the improbable and the impossible.Be an enduring example.

Nainers Tunes

Thursday, January 3, 2013

The last night....


Hands in the air, we owned tonight. Shouts of goofy with friends I’ll never forget, unforgettable images of the past 4 months I’ll always remember. 
Tonight I’m smiling. Tonight I’m also finding a few tears as I take time to sit and just absorb. Mr. Chubbins, the dog I named fittingly, of whom I have no idea where he belongs… was whining outside my door tonight. I stopped my typing and went to investigate. The little guy, nose in the air and sad eyes, just stared at me, waiting to be invited in.
He broke my schedule for the night with one short whine that had me instantly sitting on the floor, giving him belly rubs through rambled quite one sided conversation as he soaked in the luxury of attention.
As cheesy as it is, I found myself mid belly rub comparing this blonde stubby puppy to my time spent on St Thomas.
He came to my door, asking to be let in, Just as St Thomas came to me. He didn’t try to sneak by or force his way into my home, but kindly sat and asked... waiting for my answer.  Just as St Thomas waited for me. As soon as I let him in, ( not literally ) , a warmth came over me. I found a comfort in taking time to enjoy his company. I found a delight in just being there, sitting there, simply just enjoying.
St Thomas from the beginning was just an idea, that through my own asking and simply making the choice to try it out, became my new life.
I went through allot my first couple months here. I struggled with some things, made some really stupid choices, and found myself balled up and crying more times than I’d like to admit. I’d like to say in all actuality that I did ok, I picked myself up time and time again, made it, survived. Which I did. But if im honest with myself, when my saving grace(s) came along in four wonderful friendships, I found myself smiling with all sincerity again.
Just as Mr. Chubbins did for me.. they did for me. A warmth came over me in meeting Kameron, Jake, Joel and Charles. I found a comfort in taking time to enjoy their company. I found a delight in just having them in my life. Simply just enjoying.
For me, tonight was the perfect send off. I could not of asked for anything more than to spend my last evening in Beautiful St Thomas with anyone but Kameron, Jake, Joel and Charles.
I can never thank them enough for the opportunities they gave me. For the lessons they taught me. For their open arms in receiving me as part of the group. For their unselfish friendship.
I’m missing them already, and I’m still sitting in my little home in St Thomas…
Guys, If you ever happen upon this, Know I love you all.
Tomorrow will mark the morning I left the island for “Home”…Portland Oregon, I can’t wait to meet you again.

No comments: